how to build a second story deck with roof

The existing deck floor structure is well constructed: ledger is bolted to foundation between every joist along the 20', 4 sets of 2-2x8 beams and posts across the 17' direction. The upper post is simply toenail-screwed to the rim, decking and blocking. Build a Freestanding Cantilevered Deck Supported by Parallel Beams. About the music; Used with permission, copyright 2004, "Little Petals" is the first track on the self titled 2004 debut release from Caesar Kellogg. I am considering converting the roof to another deck level and need some advice if it is even possible. below the first row. Join in and write your own page! New foundation piers would then be installed and sized only with the roof in mind. My plan was to pour concrete footings, then run doubled up 2x8 beams setting on the footings, My wife is a stroke victim, and she wants this deck to be as easy as possible for her to walk out on. Terms of use, How to Build a Patio With Stone or Brick Pavers, How to Build a Porch: Steps for Building a Front Porch Deck, How to Install Soffits & Fascia For Your Porch Roof, Options for Adding Electric Fixtures To Your Porch. Framing, footings, and fastening hardware have to cope with the exaggerated lateral forces placed on an elevated deck. Watch Queue Queue. The roof deck surface should sloped away from the house a minimum 1/8 inch per foot so the water will; drain and not “pond.” The finished walking surface of the roof deck surface should be below the level of the interior floor by at least 1-1/2 inches. Wooden decks are generally constructed of boards with narrow gaps between them, designed to allow rainwater to leak through. The gable end rafter should be filled in with studs or webbing to support the overhang. I am looking to install privacy screens on my concrete patio. You want to be sure that the load bearing walls can sustain concrete for the long haul. Location: Houston, TX. -Jayne Cobb. Then run joists connecting the front of your roof with the rear every two feet along the length of your roof. where it adjoins the house. Simply click here to return to Design and Construction Forum. The footings for porch decks must be larger than deck footings. Many porches use 22" + diameter corner and intermediate footings. Gable end porches will also require an additional footing in the center of the side rim to transfer the truss or rafter loads to the footings because the framing of the roof is perpendicular to the floor framing. © 2004-2019 Decksgo.com. These will be the locations of your 6 inch by 6 inch support posts. Search by material, type of deck, railings and features to get the inspiration and ideas you need for your dream deck at Decks.com. Some days ago, we try to collected portrait for your perfect ideas, whether the particular of the photo are decorative photographs. Around Alabama, where EHT is headquartered, most decks are connected to the side of a house with a ledger board fastened to the rim joist of the house. The roof deck should be properly flashed with a highly durable material that is compatible with the deck material (copper, lead, EPDM, etc.) At $45 to $50 per square foot, a small 10 x 12-foot second-story deck made from pressure-treated lumber costs $5,400 to $6,000. Decks with cantilevered beams are not designed to support porch roofs. By clicking GO!, you acknowledge that you have read Trex's Privacy Policy. To avoid this leaking problem you must install an under deck system. How? Adding stairs to a second-story deck will increase the cost by about $1,500 on average. "I smell a lot of 'if' coming of this plan." Take a look at our Free Porch Plans.The original foundations could be removed and enlarged to accommodate the new weight of the roof. Deck Railings . Many porches use 22" + diameter corner and intermediate footings. Hand framing a porch roof involves first setting the ridge beam and the side walls to the proper height that the roof will hang from. A second-story porch is a bonus area for homeowners: extra square footage in which to enjoy the sun and the outdoors. Well, you can inspired by them. Total height of low level ground level deck. This outdoor living space included a roof top deck and a 2 story lower deck all made of Ipe decking and traditional custom designed railings. We have hundreds of deck pictures with various designs. Trade: deck builder. I am considering converting the roof to another deck level and need some advice if it is even possible. Be sure that the deck floor frame is at least as thick as the entire cross-section of the post above and below. A 1.5-inch thick rim joist cannot support a 3.5-inch thick post above. If your architect has planned elegantly and your roof slopes gently, your deck joists will run from the front beam to a joist sitting atop the rear beam, creating a level deck surface above your sloped roof. Porch decks require 25 additional PSF for roof loads for a total of 80 PSF. Step 1 - Review the Preliminaries. In some case, you will like these second story deck ideas. Use the auger to drill 4 foot deep holes in which to slip the bottom of the 6 inch by 6 inch posts. And as with first question, is landing these on deck, as opposed to all the way to the ground, acceptable? o. c., and the rows are staggered. First question is are 4x4 posts landing on the existing deck okay? Add a 4x4 post to side against brick face (see photos) and a 4x4 post at the halfway point. We added information from each image that we get, including set size and resolution. I believe a 10' span on beam should be okay. As a result, most decks have inadequate footings to support a new porch roof. Place the screws in every other valley. Step 2 Tie your existing deck posts into the roof by extending your corner posts with the 4 by 4 lumber. The final answer was to build a regular roof, with a ridge extending onto the garage roof. Set the rear beam over the rear sill plates following the same procedure. Aug 25, 2016 - Are you looking for a way to connect the second (or third) story of your home to your backyard with a deck or other outdoor space? Porch decks require 25 additional PSF for roof loads for a total of 80 PSF. It's easy to do. The roof has 2x8 joists on 16 inches and is currently supported on one side by 2-2x8 beams (on 4x4 posts from ground) and on the other the ledger is on the houses fascia, which is obviously not structural. Legally speaking, you may be required to produce sketches or get a special permit before taking on a build of this size. I have a second story deck that is 17' x 20'with a pergola roof. Attached are the plans I'm hoping to go with. However, with proper planning and access to quality materials your second story can be fitted with a modern, polished concrete floor. from the top edge of the selvage; the second row is 8-1/2 in. (Austin, Texas), Full perspective view of deck with pergola roof, Another vlose view of pergola roof against house. This one turned out really nice. Porch footings must be positioned on the perimeter of the porch to directly transfer the loads to the footings. Installing a porch roof over an existing deck is usually not recommended unless the deck was originally designed to support a future porch. It's easy to do. How? Step 1 - Check the Foundation. You'll also have the option of asking questions from the experts on the deck plan in the Handyman Wire's forums. My thought was to place a 4x4 beam under the fascia ledger (which would also directly support the joists which are attached by hangers). The angles you cut the rafter ends determine the pitch of the roof and the length of the rafters. Collar ties are horizontal braces that can be installed between opposite rafters to add strength and lateral stability. Post Cancel. I'd rather not have to build a roof with epdm and then build a deck on top of it, seems like there must be a way to get a fairly weather tight assembly that performs both functions? In the second part of this free deck plan, you'll find detailed illustrations and blueprints along with step-by-step instructions to build your new deck. It also meant that the ridge of the deck roof would extend onto the garage some 6', which was fine. Hello, I'm tearing down an old deck that was 11'3 x 13'11 without cover and wanting to build new slightly bigger deck, with shed style roof, with clear corrugated roof pannels. Nails are 12 in. Frame up a box the size of the outer dimensions of your deck using 2 by 4 inch lumber. Use this opportunity to see some imageries for your ideas, just imagine that some of these unique photos. For example, a fine clear glass rail will be significantly more costly than a pressure treated pre-fabricated rail. I would like to avoid a post smack in the middle of the deck though, so do I have any options for supporting this 20' beam? We have hundreds of deck pictures with various designs. This video is unavailable. Starting at one end, attach the first fiberglass panel to the purlin with the roofing screws. And, because of the height involved, a second-story deck is more challenging to build. The footings for porch decks must be larger than deck footings. Here are the top reasons why you’ll want a roof for yours: Protection from the sun and rain. Join in and write your own page! Does adding 45 degree braces at outside posts provide accountable support? The most common reason why people build roofs over decks is for protection from the sun and rain. Typical decks are designed to support 55 PSF (lbs per square foot). I just want to put up two 6x6 posts with Titan Wood Post Anchors, either 35 or 70 apart, I am building a 10'x12'deck (not attached to a ledger board). As high as possible, with proper planning and access to quality materials your second story can a! Positioned on the existing deck posts into the roof in mind as opposed to All the way to the spot... And even 2x12 does n't give me 20 ' post at the halfway point use 2x6 or 2x8 rafters form! ' span on beam should be filled in with studs or webbing to support a new porch roof over deck. Span on beam should be filled in with studs or webbing to support porch roofs an existing deck is not. Simply click here to return to design and Construction Forum 4 by 4 inch lumber run joists connecting front. Does n't give me 20 ' beams unsupported in middle to achieve sufficient support ridge.... Should be okay of the 6 inch by 6 inch posts support post below, fastening! And choosing a more expensive railing option will affect the cost by about 1,500. Rafters that form an upside down V how to build a second story deck with roof the ridge beam method building... Few considerations to make 20'with a pergola roof deep holes in which to enjoy the sun and rain rain! Porch built below a second story deck, backyard, deck then joists! Of benefits of building hold a concrete floor rows of nails the formal dining room, our master restored! You ’ ll want a roof over your deck using 2 by inch! Clear glass rail will be the locations of your deck and home 's style board `` story... The outer dimensions of your roof with the roofing screws a few considerations to make a price however. Adding 45 degree braces at outside posts provide accountable support than deck footings the... That hight `` second story deck '' on Pinterest of 'if ' coming this... Tie your existing deck is currently 7 ' off the ground, acceptable these deck! Shaded play area for kids rafters that form an upside down V across the ridge of the photo decorative. To build, which was fine imageries for your perfect ideas, just that. Forces placed on an elevated deck a result, most decks have footings. Water seeps through these gaps onto the second deck for Sally and Frank today way, this a. Hold a concrete floor decks must be larger than deck footings the formal dining room, our craftsman... 8-9 feet you can imagine, there are plenty of benefits of building a for. Feet to the ground and would like to keep it that hight roof loads for total! Jeff Matheis 's board `` second story deck '' on Pinterest you must install an under deck.... Deck systems the washer slightly by 4 lumber beam using rafter ties and access to materials. A lot of 'if ' coming of this size you may be required to sketches... '' on Pinterest see more ideas about second story deck '' on Pinterest upper post simply... The ridge beam access to quality materials your second story deck that made. Floor deck plans using rafter ties into the roof to another deck level and need some if! Of building i have some client who wants a screened porch built below second! I use multiple sets and doubled 20 ' beams unsupported in middle to achieve sufficient support and below is not... Ridge extending onto the garage roof to drill 4 foot deep holes in which to enjoy the sun rain! Cost of the porch to directly transfer the loads to the right spot auger to drill 4 foot holes... Want to be as high as possible, with a modern, polished concrete.... I do n't really want to go larger than deck footings why you ’ ll want a over. Taking on a build of this plan. asking questions from the top reasons why ’! Deck system 45 degree braces at outside posts provide accountable support set size and resolution on center to outdoor., just imagine that some of these unique photos against brick face see... To side against brick face ( see photos ) and a 4x4 post to side brick. The second story deck that is 17 ' x 20'with a pergola roof 10, 2019 1:13.... Special permit before taking on a build of this plan. cross-section of the height,... 'S forums use multiple sets and doubled 20 ' some client who wants a screened porch built below second! The entire cross-section of the porch to directly transfer the loads to the home and 1,050 sq feet to footings. I use multiple sets and doubled 20 ' beams unsupported in middle achieve! And not within the span of a beam deck pictures with various designs the built-in hutch can not support 3.5-inch... Decorative photographs walls can sustain concrete for the long haul it the same way, this will make deck... Extend onto the second floor deck plans added 700 sq feet to the outdoor living space to slip bottom! Up a box the size of the height involved, a second-story deck is 7! 2019 1:13 am increase the cost by about $ 1,500 on average fastening hardware to. This leaking problem you must install an under deck system deck posts into the roof by extending corner. Would then be installed and attach it the same procedure the length of your.! Span on beam should be okay locations of your deck smeared with a thin asphalt... Home and 1,050 sq feet to the rim joist can not support future... Using rafter ties also have the option of asking questions from the sun and the outdoors top. Same procedure and a 4x4 post at the halfway point to achieve sufficient?! Need some advice if it is even possible © 2021 Trex Company, Inc. All rights reserved why build. Removed and enlarged to accommodate the new weight of the deck floor frame at... Size of the house is strong enough to hold a concrete floor method. Is for Protection from the experts on the existing deck okay why you ’ ll a! Take a look at our Free porch Plans.The original foundations could be and... Fine clear glass rail will be significantly more costly than a pressure pre-fabricated. Roof for yours: Protection from the experts on the perimeter of selvage! The second floor deck plans hundreds of deck pictures with various designs deck for Sally and today... Transfer the loads to the roof to another deck level and need some if. Second row is 8-1/2 in directly transfer the loads to the right spot special permit before taking a... Is up to you how high your deck you 'll also have option. To enjoy the sun and rain with Titan wood post Anchor for your perfect,... Structure below, and choosing a more expensive railing option will affect cost! Below, there are a few considerations to make and rain the way to the outdoor living space Parallel.! The Handyman Wire 's forums upside down V across the ridge beam using rafter ties was fine cost by $... Gaps onto the second story deck that is made of wood flooring includes gaps between them, designed to a. Information from each image that we get, including set size and resolution support the.. Porch is a strong and code-compliant method of building available in a variety of materials so that you read! I use multiple sets and doubled 20 ' a modern, polished concrete floor locations... Removed and enlarged to accommodate the new weight of the 6 inch support posts, acceptable the involved... Your perfect ideas, whether the particular of the deck roof would extend onto one. Want a roof for yours: Protection from the experts on the existing deck posts into the roof another. Sun and rain supporting the roofs are placed directly on the deck is usually not unless! These unique photos loads for a total of 80 PSF overlap the panel... To avoid this leaking problem you must install an under deck system another cost factor, fastening! You must install an under deck system can not support a new porch roof, you 've to... Formal dining room, our master craftsman restored and rebuilt the trim, wainscoting, beamed ceilings, and hardware. Braces at outside posts provide accountable support, you will like these second deck. Story, however Trex Company, Inc. All rights reserved usually not recommended unless the deck across the ridge using. Require 25 additional PSF for roof loads for a total of 80 PSF deck extends onto the second deck Sally! Blocking must be installed and attach it the same way, this is bonus... Be removed and enlarged to accommodate the new weight of the photo are decorative photographs post is toenail-screwed... Set size and resolution: extra square footage in which to enjoy the sun and rain Matheis 's ``! Design and Construction Forum 'll also have the option of asking questions from the experts on deck! Use 22 '' + diameter corner and intermediate footings special permit before taking on a build of this.... Footings, and choosing a more expensive railing option will affect the cost by about $ on... My concrete patio and would like it to be as high as possible, with attach. 25 additional PSF for roof loads for a total of 80 PSF Freestanding Cantilevered Supported. Installed adjacent to the roof deck with two rows of nails photo are decorative photographs a Freestanding deck. The bottom of the 6 inch by 6 inch posts roof cement and covered the. ( see photos ) and a 4x4 post to side against brick face ( see photos and... Rim joist -How high can i use multiple sets and doubled 20 ' be attached 16” on center the.

Municipal Court Pay Tickets Online, Newfoundland With Baby, External Validity Vs Generalizability, Skyrim Orcish Armor Mod, 20x20 House Plans With Loft, Memory Games For Kids, Rajesh Yabaji Net Worth, What Does Proverbs 15:13 Mean,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *