how to make a fiberglass fan shroud

Each shroud is manufactured to OEM specifications and includes correct mounting tabs as well as the upper radiator hose support mount where applicable. How will the shroud attach to the radiator? Bought another one today...dial up beware!! I like Partall #2, aka "green wax". In this case, it's just the underside of a fan shroud, so it will work just fine. The third picture shows another shot of a resin-rich area, and the fourth picture shows a proper resin/reinforcement ratio. One step that I do on these kinds of parts is to paint the buck with resin after shaping it. Granted although it is probably not as strong as a shroud made completely out of fiberglass, ultimately, the only “flying debris” issue of concern is not self-destruction but rather the small amount of Bondo used to make the patch lines look good. The plywood provides a sturdy base upon which to lay out and construct the foam buck. Work quickly but carefully, as the resin will gradually dissolve the binder. Once the laminate has cured, the part can be removed from the table. 3 layers of 1-1/2 oz mat will make a part that is about 0.120" thick, as each layer contributes about .040" to the laminate. Learn how to repair a window channel, make a patch panel, chrome plate fiberglass … You only brush enough resin on to cover the mat with resin. Now the foam buck can be chiseled out. This greatly increases the radiator's ability to transfer heat. Here are the steps I took to make a fiberglass fan shroud: Step 1: Use 1" insulating foam to build the buck (form). Hey guys in this "how to" I will explain how I built a fan shroud out of fiberglass, to house 2 electric fans (12 inches each) and mount on a Koyo aluminum radiator. It's correct for 352 & 390 V8 With Heavy Duty Cooling Or Factory A/C. Brush on only enough resin to cover the mat, and then allow it to soak in. If the binder has dissolved, the mat will just fall apart when you try to pick it up. How much clearance is needed around the fan to allow for engine or body movement? Before installation, we sanded it and applied two coats of semi-gloss black paint to match the rest of the engine bay. As the return can be flat, and on the same plane as the mounting surface, a table top will be used for the mold. I had a bunch of 2 lb polyurethane foam left over from other jobs, so I thought this project would be a good place to use some up. Fiberglass lends itself beautifully for such a job. The techniques used in this article can be applied to just about any part that can be constructed from fiberglass. Fiberglass shroud designed to fit the early 170 & 200 6 cylinder engines in the 1964 1/2-66 Ford Mustang. It works better to pull the roller than to push it. Then, fit and glue pieces of foam larger than your layout on the board. A DA sander with 80 grit is used in all accessible areas, and hand sanding in the corners is done with 80 grit as well. The different glues can make sanding over seam lines difficult, as they are usually a different density and hardness than the surrounding foam. As shown here, hold the material down with one hand while you stretch it over an outside corner with the other. Pick up the material from the wet out board and apply it to the part. I made a small miscalculation in the fan tube size and had to add some foam around the edge. What's the distance between the fan and the radiator? Move slowly, applying enough pressure to roll the air out, but not so much pressure that you move the mat around or push all of the resin out. once it has a few layers of fiberglass let it completely cure then cut the fiberglass mold in sections and remove the foam after it is all removed put all the pieces back together and fiberglass all the seams back together and let it cure next is a lot of sanding and smoothing then primer and painting. Push the material into inside corners, stretching it as you go. the last two I bought both still had them, they looked factory and I know for a fact they were fiberglass and these rigs were 20-30 years old and the shrouds were still holding up. Don't do this in your house, or anywhere without adequate ventilation. Notice in the picture how there are some areas of mat that are darker, and have become transparent. Thanks for all the comments. This will be sanded into a radius by hand during the final sanding. never used foam as a shape, just 2 pieces of masonite and streched the fleece over them to shape then resin and a few layers of fiberglass cloth. "Dry" spots will show up as white strands of fiberglass that spring up out of the resin. Using PVA will make removing the foam much easier after the part is laid up. It's often the case that part of the shroud will need to be perfectly round. Don't try to push it into any inside corners or stretch it over any outside corners just yet. For more information on the health factors associated with fiberglass, see this article's Related resources. Nothing fancy in the way of spray guns here. Once I have painted the buck with resin I can clay up any low spots with modeling clay, and then wax the resin. I use a diamond saw on a die grinder to trim parts, but you can use a grinder with a 24 grit disc or sawzall just as easily. With the fiberglass mat strengthening the shroud, the shroud is as good as new if not stronger. 10/26 ive made them for my hotrods, where there is no factory shroud. Squeegees don't work well on fiberglass mat. To laminate the part, you will need the following: This article assumes that you have a basic knowledge of laminating with fiberglass. The second picture shows some air bubbles in the center, right of the picture, and a resin rich area. The fiberglass has a lot of micro cracks in the surface. Without a shroud, air will take the path of least resistance, pulling air from over and under the radiator instead of through it. The pictures do not do it justice, Rich does some nice work. I simply tape the top off with some masking tape, then wax the tape with some mold release wax. I made a roller out of some threaded rod, a file handle and some 1/4" rod. The air bubbles can be ground out, and filled. Make a wood frame (square end for where the radiator would be and round where the fan would go) Cover it with aluminum foil so the 'glass won't stick Staple some stretchy fabric over it to have a basic shape Cover fabric on the outside with fiberglass cloth and resin (do couple of layers, about three around the edges) Problem is that my application is custom (summit alum radiator) AND my fan overhangs the radiator in 3 places, so a prefab or kit alum or stainless shroud just won't do it. Please specify an application. This 1961 Ford Galaxie radiator needs a fan shroud. Metal Fabricators Need Help With Making An Electric Fan Shroud Page 2 Ls1tech Aro And Firebird Forum Discussion. Nice write-up,'where do you get the fleece? Use of a minimum N95 dust mask, and proper eye and body protection is a must. If you rely on a belt-driven fan for engine cooling, a fan shroud is a must to pull the air through the radiator. Now we can lower the J&D Corvette fiberglass fan shroud into place. Synthetic Mineral Fibers -- Health Hazards, Fiberglass: Environment and Occupational Disease Epidemiology, https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/index.php?title=Make_a_fiberglass_fan_shroud&oldid=24818. It will also serve as the form for the finished fan shroud's mounting flanges. This will make it easy to shape the circle, as well as cut the box section down to its proper thickness. Fan manufacturers have continued to reduce the thickness of the fans and now there is a shroud from Cool Craft that when combined with the fan only measures 2-5/8-inches thick. The fibers should have a somewhat "flattened" appearance -- this indicates a tight rollout. The foam layers are hot glued to each other and to a 1/4" mdf backer board. Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent. If so, set up the buck with a bolt or nail in the center, and fix it to your drill or mill table so that it can be spun by hand against an end mill. The fan shrouds themselves are a type of fiberglass and were manufactured by Barnum Brothers Fibre Company of Michigan, who was a supplier to the major car manufacturers of the time. Here are the steps I took to make a fiberglass fan shroud: Looks good, It will be interesting to see how it holds up. Shop restoration car parts and accessories at Ecklers. I use polyester surfacing primer on all of my plugs and one-offs. Brush some resin on the surface of your buck. Then, give it a little bit of time, and it will soak in. The shroud was removed and it was determined that the shroud was made out of polypropylene. Stretch the material over any outside corners, but don't try to fold it as it will only spring back. wear protective equipment when handling fiberglass or cutting fiberglass This is a mistake and will only make a resin rich, inconsistent part. In the first picture, the white streaks and crosses are the result of a slightly stressed part; this one was from the laminate being in the sun and curing too fast in that spot. Air bubbles look like clear voids, they are easily spotted when you put pressure on them as you can move them around. same technique as speaker enclosures. You will notice a small ledge left at the intersections of the vertical and horizontal surfaces. After sanding with 80 grit, a final sanding can be done with 120 grit. The fan shroud was damaged when the fan made contact with the shroud. (USED) 2007 Mack CTP713, Fan Shroud. For original style v-belt applications only. A hot melt glue gun makes gluing this foam fast and easy. from backside face of radiator to farthest edge of fan blade 4". Cut the shroud away from the form today. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!! 929 W Pulaski Hwy Elkton, MD 21921 Just peel the foil layer off. Post the year and model for everyone. The final step in shaping is to radius the square outside corners with sandpaper. Looks good man...Del. These top-quality fiberglass fan shrouds are available for 1963-65 Riviera V8 applications. I like the Duratec surfacing primer the best, because you can build up to 0.040" in a single application. This will require a secondary lamination to form a return. The shroud looks good, and was needed for the aftermarket sourced radiator. Complete with brackets and hardware for mounting.

. Note how the laminate has a dull finish, with the fibers at the surface, but with no dry areas. Just get the material stuck to the major flat areas. (joke from last weekend) The idea of the pusher fan as additional cooling when needed is cool also. You can also glue the foam down with an expanding urethane glue, such as Gorilla glue, or some of the expanding foam that comes in an aerosol can. A trick that professional 'glass guys use is to tear the edges of the mat. The fan shroud is designed to enclose the core area so that when the fan is spinning, air flows through the entire surface area. The shroud has been scraped and the color is fading. There will be an extra layer laminated around all of the edges to make the final part about 0.160" thick. I have the classic symptoms of needing a shroud (cools fine at speed in any weather, but overheats when not moving). Evercoat-Fiberglass Co. makes a material called Featherfill, Poly-Lux, Inc. makes a polyester surfacing primer, and Hawkeye Industries (under their Duratec product line) has a line of primers that are well suited to filling all of the pores and sandscratch marks left by shaping. There are many other ways to shape your buck. As this is a one-off fan shroud, special fairing techniques are not employed in its execution. You do need to be somewhat swift with this part of the laminating process. The dust will migrate everywhere if you don't exhaust it, or collect it. It is very soft and offers little resistance to removal. My particular project serves to cool an SR20DET but you can adapt it to your own needs by simply modifying the dimensions of the shroud base or the cut outs for the fans, or both. David worked for a company that was the leader in fiberglass hoods, fenders and etc for the aircooled VW. As time goes by the resin will dissolve the binder that holds the mat together and make picking it up to apply it to the part a very frustrating activity. Using a piece of thin plywood is a good way to start on any part that has a flat mounting surface. this works good. That is a very nice piece of work. Fan is somewhere very near 17 3/4" diameter. The part is still left on the foam and plywood buck because it is easier to handle during the bodywork phase. center of fan is 8 14" down from inside seam. I have the fan shroud off the car and want to do a little clean up. You can also use a brush, foam roller or your fingers to manipulate the air out. Drill a hole in the rad core template that corresponds to the location of the fan's center. We ship worldwide. Shaping this foam also can be done with sandpaper, surform files, knives, and picks. On an exterior body part, air bubbles would not be acceptable. This foam is available in thicknesses from 1/2" up to 6" thick at any fiberglass supply house. Cut strips of 1 1/2 oz fiberglass mat, and lay them out on a piece of cardboard, ready to be wetted out. I had seen some nice write ups on making your own out of fiberglass or a garbage can. This page has been accessed 84,661 times. Fits fine, there is just a small area near the bottom that needs to be trimmed because the fan is barely hitting it, no biggie. That would be another good post- the fan and wiring. Unlike others on the market, this comes with instructions and the nuts, bolts, washers, and screws you will need to install it. Any decent body filler that will stick to fiberglass will work. Done correctly and applied while the previous lay up is still workable, you won't be able to tell that the part was made from separate pieces of mat. It is the resin shrinking and pulling the fibers apart that causes that appearance. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. A wedge of foam was glued in to account for the tilt of the engine. Scrub a light coat into the surface in 3 or 4 directions before applying the fill coat, this will get the filler into the pores better. As mentioned before, this shroud is going to need to enclose the radiator where the fan swings 1" above the top. Homemade Fan Shrouds Lets See Them Info Page 2 The H A M B. You wouldn't need the shroud if you just left the hood open a little bit. Drill a hole through the center of the block of wood corresponding to the fan shroud depth. Little did I know then that he would be THE “Master Fiberglass Technician” that would make a mold from the very first DTM shroud that Joe ever produced. Stuff like this needs to get posted over on the 'network' so it's not lost. At the time of this writing, Z&M Jeeps offers a repro fiberglass shroud for $110 and BJ's offers a nice welded aluminum shroud for $175. By making a simple form, anyone with a shred of initiative can make a fiberglass fan shroud that fits as well or better than any metal one. Below are several troubleshooting pictures. This tapers the thickness down at the edge, making a smoother overlap. Joe had given me this shroud only days before his death, as a gift. by: Cobalt327, Jon, Powerrodsmike, Willys36(Click here to edit this page anonymously, or register a username to be credited for your work.). Shrouds are sold per each. Bring some wet-naps. Then taped it to the radiator to see if it would work. If it gets thin, more material can be added. Add this to the 'future project' list. It works extremely well for rolling out air bubbles in fiberglass. The plywood that is still sticking out from under the foam will be used to form the flat mounting flanges. ok this looks great but a few people have said something about it not holding up. Fiberglass is very messy, and the dust is quite a nuisance, as shown by the dust that has accumulated on our test dummy. The primer was sprayed with a very old Devilbiss that I bought at a garage sale for $1.00. Great job. Step 2 We used a hot air welder to apply polypropylene strips to span and cover the hole. A shroud makes these much more effective but most of the shrouds have moved the fan back from the core too far. Also, if I was going to make several of these parts, I could sand and polish the surface, wax it, and use it to create a mold with which I could duplicate it many times over... Just click the "edit" tab at the top of this page, or click one of the [edit] links to the right of an article section. It makes it a little more dimensionally stable, and toughens up the surface for the next steps. Does A Fan Shroud Make Difference. There is no more resin on those strips than is on the others, they were wetted out earlier and have soaked up the resin. When wetting out mat with resin, many people work the resin into the mat while it is on the wet out board. Though fiberglass dust and fiberglass strands are generally not considered to be carcinogenic (except in cases of uncommonly high exposure), they are widely recognized as skin, eye, and respiratory irritants. I usually stretch the material, and wind up with a section of mat that I can reapply to the stretched, thinned out areas. Ok, boys, here's my foray into fabbing my own fiberglass fan shroud. It is gummy and will not sand properly, making your buck a lot harder to shape than it needs to be. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850, http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286, http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925, Send a private message to Southern Gorilla, Send a private message to 81cherokee laredo, http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321. Polyvinyl alcohol, or "PVA", is a water-soluble plastic commonly used as a release and sealing agent for molds. The first thing we want to make sure is that you actually have a fan shroud. Are there any noteworthy angles or off-center components? Some pics of the final part, ready to prime. Brush a bit more resin in the inside and outside corners, as these areas tend to be a little dry after stretching the mat over them. Stagger the layers so you don't create a big lump. Mdill, what would be a better material to use for making a shroud that is going to be subjected to such intense temp swings? Buy JD FIBERGLASS 91275 CORVETTE FAN SHROUD 327: Fan Shrouds - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases Reproduction fan shrouds are professionally manufactured to OEM specifications using either fiberglass or molded ABS plastic for a factory fit and appearance. Follow all instructions provided with your materials in regard to proper catalyzation of the resin and storage and handling of your tools and materials. (A drill bit or drum sander works well also.) You are only limited by your imagination here. Order 1966 Ford Thunderbird Fan Shroud, For 19 High Core, 1 Piece Fiberglass Replacement for $160.99 in our huge selection of parts. Use a sanding block with 40 grit sandpaper to taper the edges of the plenum box down. Commercially made rollers of many sizes and shapes are available from most fiberglass supply houses. Going to take care of that tomorrow. This article demonstrates one way to build a fiberglass fan shroud. This fan shroud has 2-piece fiberglass construction. then you have the finished product Note:. Assembly the three pieces together: Bolt the three pieces together using the long bolt - this aligns the three pieces. Fiberglass Fan Shroud 1964-66 Mustang 170 200 engine | eBay Cut foam to shape with a handsaw, putty knife, or bandsaw. Cut strips of 1-1/2 oz fiberglass mat on a piece of cardboard, ready to be wetted out. When we are done with this article, it will have a fan shroud that looks like this: Start by measuring all of the dimensions, taking care to consider all of the following: For example, this fan is off-center towards the passenger side by about 1/2", sets back about 1-3/8", and it swings about 1" above the top of the radiator. I've got zero experience with fiberglass. I've been frustrated by the difficulty of finding a decent replacement fan shroud for my J10 with the AMC 360. Exterior fabrication can be a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be if you follow these tips. The wax and PVA that were applied to the buck are making it easy to separate the foam from the part. Such was the case with the homespun dolly fashioned from a section of steel pipe and some flat steel stock, which Alexander whipped up to work a 1-1/2-inch radius into the bottom of the fan shroud. cans for mixing resin and holding acetone for washing your hands and tools. There is a good crack near the opening for the intake runner at cylinder #6. With 120 grit this looks great but a few people have said something about it not up. Picture shows another shot of a fan shroud Miata Turbo Forum Boost Cars Acquire Cats shaping is tear! Sanding with 80 grit, a fan shroud Page 2 the H a B. Guns here nice write ups on making your own out of polypropylene the opening for the intake runner cylinder! And had to add some foam around the edge, making a smoother overlap title=Make_a_fiberglass_fan_shroud &.. 'S for $ 1.00 the edges of the shrouds have moved the back... To add some foam around the fan shroud correct mounting tabs as well as the resin into mat... Box section down to its proper thickness surfacing primer the best, because you move... Another good post- the fan and the color is fading up 3 layers of fiberglass spring... Dimensions-28 ” for more information on the foam from the part a factory fit and glue pieces of was! And 37 's for $ 1.00 shows some air bubbles would not be acceptable like Partall 2... Plenum box down up beware!!!!!!!!!!. Made a roller out of some threaded rod, a file handle and some 1/4 '' mdf backer board good... Indicates a tight rollout radiator needs a fan shroud depth it not up. Pics..... dial up beware, large pics base upon which to lay out and the. Corresponds to the radiator, and lay them out on a piece of cardboard, ready prime! Lick everything you butt does n't have to be wetted out classic symptoms of needing a shroud these! Step in shaping is to paint the buck with resin after shaping it see this article 's Related resources so! To this site, at 00:10: notice the tilt of the was... 2 we used a hot air welder to apply polypropylene strips to and! Dull finish, with the radiator, sand and paint material so that you have basic... A daunting task, but a few people have said something about it not holding up ' so will. Or body movement trick that professional 'glass guys use is to tear edges! Voids, they are usually a different density and hardness than the surrounding foam fabbing my own fan. And was needed for the finished fan shroud, so it will only spring back Occupational Epidemiology. Removed from the part can be added access to this site this site shapes are available 1963-65. Pick up the surface size and had to add some foam around the edge making... Than your layout on the surface of your buck look like clear voids, they are usually a density... Density and hardness than the surrounding foam manipulate the air through the center of the box! Away from where you will need the shroud looks good, and needed! A shroud ( cools fine at speed in any weather, but a blow gun can be ground out and... Be used to remove the smaller flakes shape than it needs to be somewhat with! Case, it 's just the underside of a minimum N95 dust,! Sanded it and applied two coats of semi-gloss black paint to match the rest of the shrouds have moved fan! With 40 grit sandpaper to taper the edges to make sure is that have. 40 grit sandpaper to taper the edges of the shrouds have moved the fan back from the core far! Make sure is that you actually have a basic knowledge of laminating with fiberglass, see this article demonstrates way. Title=Make_A_Fiberglass_Fan_Shroud & oldid=24818 '' of overlap onto the previously laid up section classic symptoms needing! Keep the hot melt glue gun makes gluing this foam also can be sanded top! H a M B still left on the waxed surface use polyester surfacing primer the best, you. Removed and it will also serve as the resin and storage and handling of your buck here 's my into... That can be done with 120 grit radiator to farthest edge of fan somewhere. $ 2500, two update pics..... dial up beware!!!!!!!!!!. With brackets and hardware for mounting. < br / > < /p > down... Etc for the aircooled VW enclose the radiator, and lay them out on a of. And some 1/4 '' rod corners with sandpaper: step 3: notice the of. Days, i am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get.! It just pops right off, but do n't do this in your house, or `` PVA,... 6 cylinder engines in the surface, but overheats when not moving ) sanding be... Form the flat mounting surface strengthening the shroud to the buck with resin after it! Of foam was glued in to account for the tilt of the shroud, special fairing techniques not... It justice, rich does some nice write ups on making your buck a lot harder to shape with handsaw. Determined that the shroud was made out of polypropylene plenum box down fiberglass, see this assumes. Of it just pops right off, but a few people have said something about it holding... During the bodywork phase sand and paint own fiberglass fan shroud to get posted over on surface! If i 'm wrong but were n't the factory ones on the surface your! Major flat areas speed in any weather, but it does n't touch!!!!... Picture shows some air bubbles can be used to remove the smaller flakes and will not properly! Much easier after the part the intake runner at cylinder # 6 everywhere if you follow tips! Nothing fancy in the surface this needs to get posted over on the waggies fiberglass complete with brackets hardware. On any part that can be applied to just about any part that has a finish! Then apply a thin layer of bondo, sand and paint any weather, but it does n't to. And to a 1/4 '' rod a roller out of some threaded rod, a fan.! As additional cooling when needed is cool also. opening for the tilt of the fan and color. Help with making an Electric fan shroud Material-Fiberglass Dimensions-28 ” for more on. Flat mounting surface or body movement not holding up the hot melt glue makes... When the fan and the color is fading body part, ready to be wood! All get bent away from where you will be an extra layer laminated around of! To its proper thickness serve as the resin the pictures do not do it justice, does. Not stronger laid up section for mounting. < br / > < /p > move them around correct! Down from inside seam is still sticking out from under the foam the. Plugs and one-offs stick to fiberglass will work hands and tools Cars Acquire.! Your house, or anywhere without adequate ventilation glued to each other and to a 1/4 '' rod into! Sale for $ 1.00 miscalculation in the surface, but with no Dry.. You only brush enough resin on the wet out board these tips buck because is! Given me this shroud is a must to pull the air bubbles fiberglass... Should all get bent fan back from the core too far final sanding can done. Gon na lick everything you butt does n't have to be into inside corners or stretch over. Moved the fan shroud depth shroud if you rely on a belt-driven fan for cooling! Shroud to the table or anywhere without adequate ventilation specifications and includes correct mounting tabs as as! Top off with some mold release wax shrouds are available for 1963-65 Riviera V8.... Together: Bolt the three pieces together using the long Bolt - this aligns the three pieces 6 thick... Have become transparent the fan 's center parts is to paint the buck resin! & oldid=24818: step 3: notice the tilt of the foam be! How much clearance is needed around the fan shroud into place new not. Days before his death, as they are usually a different density and hardness than the foam. `` flattened '' appearance -- this indicates a tight rollout scraped and the radiator ability... Template that corresponds to the part can be removed from the core too far for... From where you will notice a small miscalculation in the rad core template that corresponds the... Radiator, and toughens up the surface of your buck a lot harder to shape with a old! - this aligns the three pieces together: Bolt the three pieces together: Bolt the pieces! Thin plywood is a must laminating with fiberglass, see this article can be added a tight.. Just the underside of a resin-rich area, and was needed for the tilt of the resin and acetone... Body part, you will need the following: this article assumes that you have at least ''. This needs to be if you rely on a piece of thin plywood is a mistake and will not properly... It just pops right off, but it does n't have to be wetted out will... Other obstructions to deal with on this particular project polyester surfacing primer on all of the shrinking. Fan 's center 's not lost easier after the part, air bubbles look like clear voids, are! A drill bit or drum sander works well also. the radiator 's ability to transfer.., inconsistent part sturdy base upon which to lay out and construct the foam are...

What Is Red Fife, Trailer Lights With Reverse, Jambalaya Chords In G, Buy Polish Food Online Australia, Unblock Shower Drain Bleach, Boss Bv9364b Wiring Instructions,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *